Construction Today - Volume 16, Issue 2 - 123
CDH is designing
a replacement hospital.
and assisted living, makes up about 60 percent of CDH's business. Education and worship facilities make up the remaining 40 percent.
CDH has made a name for itself in Georgia by listening to what its
clients want and taking a personable approach to every project. "We
don't come in with a set solution," Mackey says. "We take the time to
talk about the church or hospital and find out what their goals and
objectives are, and what their perceived needs may be.
"We take that information, look at all the data and come up with
solutions that may or may not have been what they thought was
their primary solution to begin with," he continues. "We try to assimilate the data we have based on the needs the client has and come up
with a solution that maybe a little more outside the box than what
they had planned."
CDH's biggest challenge on the Mountain Lakes Medical Center
project was the site work and providing for future expandability.
InMed has proposed adding a freestanding or attached nursing
home and because of its location in the hillside, CDH had to ensure
the site would allow for future growth.
Cook Medical Center (CMC) in Adel, Ga., is also a replacement
hospital CDH is designing. CMC will have eight-inpatient med surg
beds that will also feature an ambulatory surgical center with three
operating rooms and a GI/Bronch endoscopy suite.
Additionally, the center will also include a 12-bed geriatric/psy-
'It's an integrated
process with the
contractor and a BIMcoordinated effort.'
Healthcare with a View
CDH designed the new Mountain Lakes Medical Center in Clayton,
Ga., a 56,000-square-foot, 25-bed critical access replacement hospital
that includes outpatient and emergency services. "We developed
relationships with InMed Group, the owner of the project, and we
have talked back and forth about the project for years," Mackey says.
"It took three years to get it off the drawing boards and actually get it
completed this past summer."
The mountainous region provides the perfect landscape for the
facility and CDH took every opportunity to accentuate that, Mackey
says. "This piece of property is on the hillside, so you can see it if you
are driving north," he adds. "The campus features a boardwalk that
stretches from front to back that's open air. It serves as a plaza and
vista lookout for visitors, and all patient rooms have floor-to-ceiling
glass walls to accentuate the views. There is a lot of glass used to take
advantage of the scenery."
VOLUME 16, ISSUE 2 CONSTRUCTION-TODAY.COM