Construction Today - January 2017 - 38
Commercial | SWINERTON BUILDERS AND JACOBSEN CONSTRUCTION JOINT VENTURE - THE BEVERLY CENTER
has gone through several remodels, but this renovation will
make it better than ever with more natural light and a plethora
of new dining options. "We're giving it a facelift and creating
what will hopefully be a more enjoyable shopping experience,"
says Steve Nelson, project executive and vice president of Jacobsen Construction.
"The Beverly Center holds a special place in LA's imagination - it's
where an entire generation of Angelenos went on first dates, bought
prom dresses and met up with friends on weekends," explains
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement about the project.
"Reimagining it for the 21st century is a tremendous investment in
making those timeless experiences possible for the next generation
"These plans capture the spirit of ambition and innovation that is
driving our city's economic resurgence."
Renovations began on the eight-story mall in March 2016, with
the project expected to be complete in January 2018. Some of the
new features of the 886,000-square-foot Beverly Center include:
* New skylights that will bathe the entire Beverly Center in
* Metal panels added to the exterior that incorporate a perforated steel façade;
* A new streetscape to be more walker-friendly;
* Street-level restaurants on West Third Street to embrace a
* State-of-the-art smart parking system for five floors of
parking to dramatically improve the center's arrival and
departure experience for shoppers;
* A new food hall to include 15 to 18 high-end eateries, along
with nine new restaurants; and
* LED screens, plenty of places to sit, relax and plug in, and can
accommodate hosted events, exhibitions and installations in
the center of the mall.
CONSTRUCTION-TODAY.COM JANUARY 2017